Square PVC tubes are often chosen because of an aesthetic preference or because of compatibility issues with other products. This style of PVC tubing can be found in point of purchase displays, healthcare settings, children’s toys, and other applications. Plastic tubing is typically made of high or low density polyethylene (HDPE and LDPE), polystyrene, polypropylene, ABS, or acrylic. Each material features different qualities of strength, reactivity and transparency.
An example of acrylic tubing could be used in a healthcare setting to monitor the flow of fluid between laboratory equipment. In some industrial industries where durability and resistance are needed, PVC or HDPE, which are opaque and more durable, would likely be chosen.
PVC tubes are rigid tubes that offer toughness, abrasion resistance, corrosion resistance and impact resistance but they lack flexibility. Acrylic tubes are used in the food processing, fabrication, and engineering industries. Flexible tubes include nylon and PVC flexible tubing which is commonly used for fluid handling and filtration.
There are different processes by which square tubing is formed. The process of making a square PVC pipe and the process of making a round tube are identical in many ways. Typically the process starts with cell casting. This involves pouring molten plastic materials into molds and allowing them to harden. The most effective and efficient method for PVC square tube fabrication is plastic extrusion.
Plastic extrusion is a thermoforming process. This means it uses heat to melt a plastic in order to shape it into the final product. The plastic extrusion process starts with raw plastic material called stock. This is loaded into a hopper suspended above a conveyance channel. After the stock is released into the channel, a large screw within the channel forces the stock toward a die at the end of the channel. Each PVC type requires different melting temperatures.
The turning screw causes friction that causes the stock to reach a molten state with the help of high temperatures. The stock then is forced through the die and takes its shape. It comes out on the other side of the die as plastic tubing. The square plastic tube is cooled, cut to length and is prepared for shipment or additional processing.
- Good mechanical strength, tensile strength, and wall thickness
- High purity: PVC tubing is often used for food processing, pharmaceutical, and semiconductor manufacturing applications where contamination must be avoided.
- Weather resistance: It can withstand a wide range of temperatures and environmental conditions without degrading or becoming brittle.
- Chemical Resistance: PVC tubing is resistant to many chemicals, including acids, alkalis, and solvents. This makes it an excellent choice for use in chemical processing and handling applications.
- Flexibility: PVC tubing is flexible and can be easily bent and shaped without kinking or cracking. This makes it ideal for use in applications that require the tubing to be routed around obstacles or through tight spaces.
- Light Weight: PVC tubing is lightweight and easy to handle, making it an excellent choice for use in applications where weight is a concern.
- Cost-effective: PVC tubing is one of the most cost-effective tubing materials available. It is less expensive than many other materials, such as stainless steel or copper, making it an attractive option for many applications.
- Low Maintenance: PVC tubing is easy to clean and maintain. It does not require any special cleaning agents or procedures, and it is not prone to corrosion or rust.
- Versatility: PVC tubing is available in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and colors, making it suitable for a variety of applications, such as plumbing, irrigation, medical equipment, and more.
Plastic Square Tubing Materials
Flexible, rigid plastic tubing and tube extrusion manufacturing are our specialties. Plastic tubing can be designed for a wide variety of markets, including medical, industrial, retail, automotive, and food and beverage. Depending on your needs, certain resins can fulfill both NSF and FDA requirements. We work with a range of PVC tubing, nylon tubing, and plastic tubing materials, such as:
- Flexible Tubing: Polyurethane, Santoprene, FPVC, LDPE, LLDPE, Nylon 6
- Semi-Rigid Tubing: PP and HDPE
- Rigid Tubing: Polycarbonate, RPVC, ABS, high impact polystyrene HIPSand Acrylic
Plastic Tubing Colors
- Stock PMS color or custom match per your requirement
Plastic Tubing Shapes
Plastic Tubing Sizes
- Up to 12” outside diameter
What is Square PVC Tubing used in?
Square PVC tubing is used in a wide range of applications, including:
- Construction: Square PVC tubing is often used in construction projects as a building material for window and door frames, as well as for fencing and railings.
- Electrical: PVC tubing is often used as an electrical conduit to protect and route electrical wires in both residential and commercial settings.
- Plumbing: Tubing can also be used in plumbing applications as a conduit for water, sewage, and other fluids.
- Agriculture: Square PVC tubing is commonly used in agricultural applications as irrigation piping and as a protective covering for crops.
- Signage: It can be used as a sturdy base for signs, particularly outdoor signs that need to withstand the elements.
- DIY Projects: Square PVC tubing is a versatile material that can be used in a wide range of DIY projects, such as shelving, storage, and organization systems.
Overall, the versatility and durability of square PVC tubing make it a popular choice for a wide range of applications across multiple industries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I want my tube pipe to incorporate more than one color? Is that possible?
A: Yes. Using our state-of-the-art machinery and finely tuned expert plastic extrusion production process, we are able to make plastic extrusions with two different colors.
Q: How wide can you produce plastic extrusions?
A: We can extrude up to an 18” width, and in some cases, even wider.
Q: What are the length limits of the extruded plastic and tubing you produce?
A: We can run lengths up to 40’.
PET has the most technologically advanced extruders and machining in the market for single extrusion, tubing extrusion or coextrusion. We will work with your current tooling, or purchase tooling for long term engagements, to provide high quality extruded products. Our manufacturing process is ideal for both custom extruding and high-volume plastic profile extrusions, all cost-effective!
The choices are endless. The results are high quality. Contact Plastic Extrusion Technologies for more information, pricing, or to request a quote today!
Also, be sure to check out our customer reviews!